Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Dangers of Training Walks

Since I am a somewhat organized person, part of my training includes planning training walks. Most of my training walks occur on the rural roads around my mountaintop home. Although I don’t have the traffic on busy streets that city dwellers deal with, I encounter other dangers on my walks. I know that we can’t escape the inevitable, and by no means am I overly cautious-if I was, I wouldn’t be participating in the 3-day for the Cure. However, a person can be smart enough to avoid dangers, but it is the inconsideration of others that is hard to avoid, and it was the inconsiderate acts of others that made me realize that training walks can be dangerous.

When I first started walking, my hubby and youngest son were concerned with me walking alone, and this was followed by receiving pepper spray. Their concern comes from us living about 40 miles from an area where two women were abducted while walking or hiking alone. When I received my spray, I made an elastic attachment to put around the can, so it is in hand if needed; because if I have to take the time to get it out of my waist pack, it will probably be too late. Of course, this is something I have done to possibly prevent a bad thing from happening, and the reality is last week I sprayed the pepper spray to help prevent a dog attack.

Last week I was walking a route I have taken before when out of nowhere a dog was rushing toward me, showing teeth, and barking loudly to let me know he didn’t want me walking in front of his house. He was doing his job-acting as protector even though I was walking on the small shoulder along the road a good 100 yards away from his home, so I protected my space by spraying a quick line of spray to put a barrier between me and the dog. I tried not to show any fear, but it must have been apparent since a passing truck slowed, and during the few seconds that seemed like an eternity I kept thinking, “I don’t want to spray you, Pup.” Thankfully, he stopped about six inches from my outward hand; I don’t know if it was the spray, the slowing truck, or the prayers for him to GO HOME! but he backed up. I continued on my walk; it wasn’t long and the realization of what occurred hit me-it was the dogs fault that he has an inconsiderate owner that allows him to have free rein of the roads.

Dogs, however, aren’t the only ones who think they have free reign on the roads; inconsiderate drivers are also another danger I have encountered while on a training walk. On several occasions while walking, I have been pushed off the road by inconsiderate drivers. This could have many poor outcomes: falling due to loose gravel on the shoulders of the road, a snake or animal bite due to fleeing to the high grass along the shoulder of the paved road, or an injury from flying gravel from speeding cars closely passing by the gravel road. Inconsiderate speeders on gravel roads also cause respiratory dangers by creating dust storms on the road. On several occasions I have had to use either a bandanna or my-shirt to cover my mouth and sometimes eyes until the dust settles. I wonder if the inconsiderate drivers realize I am out there to help in the fight against breast cancer.

Will these dangers keep me from walking? Certainly not! I may have to alter my training route to avoid inconsiderate dog owner, and I may have to post signs along my training route warning inconsiderate drivers “Slow Down – Boobie Saver Ahead!”, and in no way will inconsiderate people alter how momma taught me to live life - BE SWEET!

Hugs and blessings,
Heidi

1 comment:

  1. Ha! The visual of you marking your route with signs is awesome - stay strong!

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete