Sunday, May 2, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again


Early Monday morning I awoke due to a contracting pain in my abdomen. After digesting some Tums and tossing and turning for an hour, I finally found peaceful slumber again, but it was short lived since my mornings begin around 6:15. I carried on with the day but was often reminded that the pain hadn’t completely subsided, and in actuality, at times it got worse. So, about halfway through the day, I went to see the doc-afraid it may be my appendix.
She says it isn't my appendix but thinks it is my gallbladder and sends me for an abdominal ultrasound. The next day I get the results "Normal." The doc then wants to send me for a test which checks the function; in fact, she had already prepared me for this since it is part of "the insurance process." Unfortunately, I can’t get until next week. By Thursday morning I felt better. I wasn't fully convinced it was my gallbladder, so I return to the doc to ask her opinion. As I am sitting in the waiting room, I have another painful attack. By the time, I am called back, my blood pressure is high and I am in tears. She suggests I go to the ER-I express my concern that they will only give me pain meds and send me on my way-she thinks they will do more to help by doing testing earlier or possibly removing gallbladder.
My hubby takes me to the ER. While I am sitting in waiting room, I have another painful,tearful attack, but once I am called back, pain has subsided considerably. Once I get in the back, I am in a reclinced position that helps to ease the pain more, fed a GI cocktail, and then the nurse tortures me by digging around in my arm for a vein, so they can get a CT scan. Since I am not a drama queen, I don’t play up the pain, and hence, I am not taken seriously. So, after 4 hours I am sent on my merry way with pain med, a "Normal" CT scan, and being told my other testing can’t be done any sooner than already scheduled. Oh! how can I forget my poor abused arm-the torture is apparent 3 days later.

 
The next morning Jake, my youngest son, asks how I am doing; I explain the pains are similar to contractions; he concludes it is an alien trying to get out. I spent the rest of the day lounging around and seemed to keep the alien calm. On Saturday I am awaken by the alien’s rumbling which is shortly followed by hubby getting home from his night shift at work. I lie in bed thinking I need to get up and go to the 3-Day Training Kickoff since my stomach is “NOTHING” compared to what someone battling cancer is going through. So, I get showered, and out the door I go.
The Training Kickoff was just what I needed. I was sad that I didn't get to meet Kristen of Kristen Walks, but it was a pleasure to mix and mingle with other walkers Joanne a five-year survivor, who was diagnosed at the age of 42 because she just knew something didn't "feel" right. As I was telling Aunt Marian's Story, she shared with me how she listened to her instinct and knew the thickening wasn't right even though it didn't show up on an ultrasound. I also met Brandee who is walking because "everyone deserves a lifetime."

Even though the alien awoke me for a short time this morning, I am feeling GREAT! My belly doesn’t look like that of a malnourished child and the painful pressure is gone with the wind-no, it wasn’t gas.  :) Today is a new day, and I am back in the saddle again-and ready for the ride of this life changing journey!
Hope you day is a great one!
 Hugs and Blessings,
Heidi

1 comment:

  1. I hope you get some answers soon - random belly pains are definitely disconcerting! I'm so impressed that you still made it out to the Training Kick Off - I probably would have wussed out in your shoes. We'll have to catch up at a training walk or at the Expo!

    ~ Kristen

    ReplyDelete